Connect with us


Truck driver 'shattered' after horror bus crash, says his father



The father of the truck driver charged over the horror Victorian school bus crash that has left children with life-changing injuries has said his son and whole family are devastated.

Truck driver, Jamie Gleeson, 49, from Balliang East, was yesterday charged with four counts of dangerous driving causing serious injury over the crash at Eynesbury.

His father, Robert Gleeson, who has been part of the Bacchus Marsh community for 46 years, has this morning told media he and his family feel "very, very sad for the families of the children".

READ MORE: Seven kids 'stable' in hospital two days after horror school bus crash

"There's nothing worse than when an accident happens and children are involved," he said.

"We just feel so sad for them. We just hope they recover healthily and they're able to go on.

"Jamie is just totally upset as well."

When asked how his son was, the elder Gleeson said "not very good".

"He's a pretty soft young fella actually, and he cares a lot about people," he said.

"He's pretty shattered."

Gleeson said his son "couldn't speak more highly of how the police had handled the situation".

When asked whether his son should be punished over the crash, Gleeson said the crash had been an "accident".

"I think he's been punished enough. He'll have to have this hanging over him for the rest of his life."

Police have alleged Jamie Gleeson was driving dangerously when the crash occurred near the intersection of Exford Road and Murphys Road at Eynesbury at about 3.40pm on Tuesday.

Gleeson has told police the was accelerating out of the 60km/h zone outside Exford Primary School when he noticed flashes of sunlight coming through the trees.

He said he hit the brakes after seeing the brake lights on the bus in front of him, but he didn't have enough time to stop before hitting the back.

"If I could have swerved around it I would have," he told officers during his interview with police on Wednesday morning.

The truck driver was granted bail at Melbourne Magistrates' Court yesterday. He is a father of two.

His employer, L & J Cartage, this morning released a statement about the "very distressing" incident.

"Our hearts go out to everyone involved, especially the children and their families. We are deeply shocked and saddened at what has happened," a spokesperson said.

The company confirmed Gleeson was on his way home, having been driving trucks for more than 20 years, and with L & J Cartage for more than 15 years.

Sign up here to receive our daily newsletters and breaking news alerts, sent straight to your inbox.

Source link