Sydneysiders are being warned of major road closures on Sunday as 40,000 runners take to the streets for the city's annual marathon.
On Sunday, September 17, there will be major road closures from North Sydney to Moore Park between 3.30am and 3pm.
The Sydney Marathon starts at Bradfield Park at Milsons Point and runners will cross the Sydney Harbour Bridge and continue through the Sydney CBD, Pyrmont, The Rocks, Darlinghurst, Moore Park, and Centennial Park.
This year there are more road closures than normal because the event is an Abbott World Marathon Majors Candidate Event.
"The Sydney Harbour Bridge, Cahill Expressway and Western Distributor will close from 4am to 10am," Transport for NSW Coordinator General Howard Collins said.
"The Sydney Harbour Tunnel will remain open but extensive delays are expected.
"Major roads from the Sydney Opera House to Moore Park, including Macquarie St, College St, Park St, and parts of Oxford St and Flinders St will close between 4am and 3pm."
Sydneysiders are warned of road and transport chaos on Sunday with significant bus detours with different stops and early ends to trips.
READ MORE: Huge changes looming for new iPhone model
Collins has urged everybody, especially motorists, to avoid non-essential travel around Sydney on Sunday.
"If you must drive, be aware that significant detours will be in place and long delays are expected – so, please leave plenty of extra time to reach your destination, particularly when driving between the Sydney CBD and eastern suburbs," Collins said.
"Motorists will only be able to travel east/west across the course via Cleveland St or the Cross City Tunnel, which will be toll-free from 5am to 3pm on the day, however, lengthy delays are still expected."
Here is the full list of the times and road closures on Sunday.
- 3.30am to 11am: Roads at the start line in Milsons Point including Alfred St South.
- 4am to 8.30am: Roads in Millers Point and Barangaroo including sections of Watsons Rd, Upper Fort St and Argyle St.
- 4am to 9:30am: Roads in Pyrmont north including Bowman St and Pirrama Rd.
- 4am to 10am: Sydney Harbour Bridge, Cahill Expressway, Western Distributor and some roads in Milsons Point and Pyrmont.
- 4am to 10:30am: Roads in Millers Point including Hickson Rd, Dalgety Rd and Towns Place.
- 4am to 11am: Roads in The Rocks and Dawes Point including Hickson Rd and George St.
- 4am to 2pm: Roads in Moore Park including Moore Park Rd, Driver Ave. Centennial Park will also be closed to vehicles. Eastern Distributor Bondi Exit to Moore Park Rd will close from 2am – 4am and from 1:15pm – 2pm.
- 4am to 2:30pm: Park St, College St, Oxford St and Flinders St from the city, Darlinghurst through to Moore Park.
- 4am to 3pm: Roads in Sydney CBD east including Macquarie St, Bridge St, College St and Art Gallery Rd.
- 5:30am to 11am: Roads in Sydney CBD north and Circular Quay including Bridge St, Pitt St, Loftus St and Young St.
- 6:30am to 12pm: Southbound lanes of Anzac Pde from Moore Park Rd to Lang Rd at Moore Park. Eastern Distributor Randwick Anzac Pde exit will also be closed.