Connect with us


South Australia vowing to punish protesters with massive fines



The South Australian government is vowing to punish protesters who shut down the city, with plans to introduce new legislation that will see those guilty facing fines of up to $50,000.

It comes on another day of disruption by Extinction Rebellion, who struck early at the Adelaide head office of one of the country's biggest oil and gas companies, Santos.

Protesters live streamed themselves spraying glass doors with paint on Flinders Street today but Frankie Marafioti's café bore the brunt.

READ MORE: The 'bad cousin' of endometriosis that impacts even more women

"There's a way of doing that I think but this is not the right way," the business owner said.

Protesters apologised to the café owner and said this was unintended.

"There are people who get caught up in it, who don't deserve it, and again we do apologise for that," one protester said.

Four people were arrested in these latest actions amid a week of protests, which coincided with a petroleum production conference in the city and culminated on the steps of parliament.

On the inside of parliament there was a bipartisan push to put an end to the stunts disrupting the city.

READ MORE: Shock unemployment figures defy expectations

The parliament is debating new legislation targeting protestors who intentionally or recklessly obstructs the free passage of a public place.

The parliament is debating new legislation targeting protestors who intentionally or recklessly obstruct the free passage of a public place, increasing the maximum fine to $50,000 or three months jail.

"By increasing these penalties, courts will have more options available to them to be able to impose penalties and sends a clear message," Premier Peter Malinauskas said.

"When you mess up our city like the protestors did yesterday you deserve to pay," opposition leader David Speirs said.

Extinction Rebellion has promised more action but are remaining tight lipped about where and when.

Of the four arrested, two fronted court this afternoon, including Flagstaff Hill retiree Ian Fox and a Victorian woman, who were both granted bail.

The other two will spend the night behind bars.

Sign up here to receive our daily newsletters and breaking news alerts, sent straight to your inbox.

Source link