Connect with us


Queensland cop in induced coma after Toowoomba chase



A Queensland man has been charged with attempted murder after four police officers were injured in a violent chase outside of Toowoomba yesterday

Three of the officers are out of hospital but the fourth – a 54-year-old senior constable – remains in a serious condition after being airlifted from the scene to a Brisbane hospital.

Queensland Police Union President Ian Leaver said the officer is in an induced coma.

READ MORE: Conwoman Melissa Caddick is dead, coroner finds

He is suffering from significant hip and pelvis injuries as well as suspected internal bleeding.

"He will be assessed by medical professionals today – it will be a long road to recovery for him," Leaver said.

One of the other officers has a broken collarbone.

Police allege the 45-year-old accused was behind the wheel of a stolen Hino truck when it was spotted by officers outside of Toowoomba at 1.20pm yesterday.

The Hino was flagged down by police but as they opened the truck door, the driver accelerated, trapping the officers between the truck and their police car before they were thrown across the bonnet and onto the road.

Police allege the truck then sped off, leaving the seriously injured officers on the road, before it was followed by two more patrol cars to a Goombungee waste management plant.

The truck driver then allegedly deliberately rammed both police cars, causing extensive damage to the vehicles and causing the two officers minor injuries before being arrested.

READ MORE: 6.1 magnitude earthquake rattles Darwin and Top End

The man from Oakey is facing a string of serious charges, including two counts of attempted murder, unlawful use of a motor vehicle, break and enter, willful damage, evading police and possession of dangerous drugs.

He will appear in the Toowoomba Magistrates Court today.

The truck had allegedly been stolen at 4am that morning along with a Hilux ute, which had been intercepted at nearby Charlton three hours earlier using a tyre deflation device.

Two men aged 19 and 28 were arrested at that scene and have since been charged with various offences including stealing, unlawful use of a motor vehicle and drug offences.

They will both appear in the Toowoomba Magistrates Court this morning alongside the 45-year-old.

Leaver said the incident has "rocked the policing community and the community of the Southern Downs".

Sign up here to receive our daily newsletters and breaking news alerts, sent straight to your inbox.

Source link