NZ students claim to be served raw chicken multiple times
An incident where Kaitaia College students in New Zealand were served raw chicken for lunch was not the first of its kind, a student has told local outlet Stuff.
Some students had to be hospitalised after eating the chicken and becoming ill.
Students planned to protest in the school canteen on Thursday about the issue.
READ MORE: Fresh blow for Aussies as power bill surge on the horizon
Lennox Goodhue-Wikitera, a year 12 student at the college, said things had been bad since the school signed up to the free lunch scheme two years ago.
"We've been served meatballs where the inside has been raw, and the meals we get are sometimes so bad they just go to waste because the kids can't eat them," Goodhue-Wikitera said.
Goodhue-Wikitera said students had lobbied for the school board to re-open their canteen, and even went as far as getting their cause highlighted on The Project in 2022, but nothing had changed.
"There had been improvement this term, until the raw chicken [on Wednesday]," he said.
"I don't even know how it left the facility."
READ MORE: Clocks to be wound back as daylight saving ends
Goodhue-Wikitera said there was "outrage" when the students opened up their lunches and realised the crumbed chicken was raw in the middle.
"Some kids went to the principal to tell her what had happened, and a few minutes later she came on over the intercom and told everyone to stop eating the chicken," he said.
Goodhue-Wikitera said their school hall had to be turned into a makeshift triage area, where the students who had started to show signs of food poisoning were treated.
Since the students were left with no lunch, Goodhue-Wikitera said teachers bought food "out of their own pockets".
He hoped the school would consider changing the provider of the free lunches, which is Bells Produce.
The company has been approached for comment.
READ MORE: How young NSW gambler hit rock bottom but bounced back
It addressed the situation on its Facebook page on Wednesday, apologising to the affected students and acknowledging the uncooked meat was "a concerning issue".
On Thursday morning, Goodhue-Wikitera sent Stuff pictures of flyers they would be handing out at school, which read "we have the power".
The students planned to protest against the inedible lunches at their school outside their canteen.
Kaiatia College was asked for additional comment on the situation, but only provided the same statement as on Wednesday, when the raw chicken was served.
"Kaitaia College is working with health authorities and the local hospital to ensure the safety of students who may have eaten raw chicken during the school's provided lunch programme today," the chairperson of the college's Board of Trustees, Diane Laurenson, wrote in the statement.
"Students were immediately told to stop eating the chicken provided by an external caterer, but a number of them have begun feeling ill, with some being taken to hospital for further treatment."
Kaitaia College said it took the health and safety of all its students and staff "very seriously".
"Once students are safe, the College will investigate how this happened," Laurenson said.
"We apologise to parents for this, and thank them for their understanding in this matter."
READ MORE: Scientists revive 'zombie' virus that spent 48,500 years frozen
Kaitaia College is not the only educational facility to fall victim to suspect food, with Victoria University students served "lukewarm" meals while isolating in their halls of residence with Covid-19.
Te Puni resident Skye Wright said in 2022 there was a lack of nutritious food available.
One meal included canned mushrooms and tinned baked beans, a hash brown, and a couple of rashers of bacon.
A mother of a student at Victoria's Boulcott Hall said her daughter had to deliver water to a friend in isolation – to drink and cook noodles for dinner.
"They have cut the menu down but it is just revolting," the mother said.
This article has been reproduced with permission from Stuff.co.nz.