Connect with us

Uncategorized

Neighbour jumps from window as Sydney restaurant goes up in flames

Published

on


A popular Sydney restaurant has gone up in flames after a chip fryer caught fire.

Cleveland Street in Surry Hills was cut off after the blaze at Erciyes Turkish Restaurant on Saturday night.

A resident in the unit above had to jump out of the window onto the awning, after a police officer ran upstairs to wake him up.

READ MORE: Australian and Chinese defence ministers hold landmark meeting

A security guard from the neighbouring Chemist Warehouse got the man down safely, before he was taken to hospital.

Owner Eren Saracoglu was treated for smoke inhalation but was more upset at the damage to the restaurant.

"I grew up in this shop, my dad's owned it for like 40 years," he said.

"I've been running it for the last five years, so yeah it is a bit devastating."

Cleveland Street in Surry Hills was cut off after the blaze at Erciyes Turkish Restaurant last night.

The fire caused thousands of dollars worth of damage.

NSW Fire and Rescue warned people to check their smoke alarms.

"Being asleep on Sunday morning, great day for a sleep in, but it's very hard to wake up if the smoke alarms not doing the job for you," Paul Sharratt from NSW Fire and Rescue, said.



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Copyright © 2021 All Right Reserved.