Garry Cox returned to his Klemzig home overnight after picking up a friend to find a stranger who looked panicked in front of the house.
"He said 'your place is alight' and I said 'what?'," Cox told 9News.
"We could see smoke coming out of the bedroom windows soon as I opened the front door the whole lounge was on fire," friend Richard Hibbert said.
But inside the blazing home were Cox's beloved dogs Lulu and Wowzie.
"I went bolting in there looked around, we tried looking around for five minutes, sang out to them," he said.
But the heat was too intense and the smoke was too black, forcing him to run back outside to breathe
"So one of them was in the front room so the police officer hit the window and got him out thank god," Cox said.
The other dog was trapped at the back of the house and firefighters desperately searched as they battled the blaze.
Lulu appeared lifeless when he was pulled from the blaze but quick-thinking firefighters worked on the tiny dog and he slowly regained consciousness.
"He was in a bad way so they brought him out straight away into fresh air and fortunately were able to resuscitate him," MFS commander Declan Dwyer said.
Fire crews worked quickly to stop the flames from spreading to an adjoining property.
Fire cause investigators today sifted through the damage to gather evidence.
The damage bill is estimated at $150,000, but you cannot put a price on Cox's best friends.