Connect with us


Heater recalled over carbon monoxide poisoning fears



A radiant heater sold Australia-wide has been recalled after fears it could give people carbon monoxide poisoning.

Celmec's Heatray IRH-G 118 overhead radiant heater is designed to provide heating to highly ventilated indoor and outdoor areas.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) said the product could risk carbon monoxide poisoning if the defective heaters were used indoors.

READ MORE: Aussie city lurching towards 165-year-old weather record

Using the heaters "could result in serious illness, injury, or death".

"A burner tile retention bracket may deteriorate after several years of use allowing the burner tile to move and compromise the efficiency of combustion of the appliance," the ACCC said.

"Appliances installed indoors, may no longer be safe for use.

"Outdoor appliances are not considered unsafe."

READ MORE: Biggest hint yet for Aussie borrowers

The ACCC is advising customers to stop using the heater immediately, turn off the gas supply and disconnect the appliance from a power-point.

"Note the serial number of the unit and contact Celmec International to verify if you have an affected heater and to arrange for a qualified technician to inspect and repair the heater on site.

"The serial number is located inside the rear panel on the left-hand side."

The heaters were manufactured and supplied from September 2008 to November 2013.

Sign up here to receive our daily newsletters and breaking news alerts, sent straight to your inbox.

Source link