Connect with us


Crash survivors share sweet moment after boy wakes from induced coma



Five days on from the horror Gold Coast helicopter crash, a surviving mother and son have been reunited virtually.

Winne de Silva and her boy Leon had been travelling in chopper one, which just 20 seconds after takeoff hit a second helicopter and crashed into the Broadwater, killing four instantly.

The nine-year-old suffered brain trauma but woke from his medically induced coma at Queensland Children's Hospital on Thursday, allowing a video call to take place as they recover in hospitals 70 kilometres apart.

READ MORE: Taliban, UK military criticise Prince Harry's Afghanistan details in memoir

Mum Winnie is being treated for her injuries at Gold Coast University Hospital but got to see her son on camera.

While he's not yet able to talk back, he gave her a "thumbs up" and "one of his big, beautiful smiles".

READ MORE: Perth father paralysed in freak beach accident

"Today he spoke two words, 'my leg', which gives me hope that he is getting stronger each day," Winnie said in a statement .

"With more surgery scheduled for me next week, my complete focus is on getting better so that within the next couple of weeks I can be with Leon and support his recovery.

"I can't wait to hug my beautiful, brave boy!"

Winne de Silva statement, update on son Leon

In the statement, the Geelong West mum also thanked the community for the outpouring of support, saying the "kind thoughts and healing prayers" are "helping me stay positive that Leon and I will get through this".

"The generosity of people has been amazing, and I can't thank you enough," she said.

"And [I] offer my heartfelt condolences to the families of the other passengers. It is an unthinkable and difficult time for us all," she said.

However, it remains touch-and-go for 10-year-old Nicholas Tadros, whose mum Vanessa died in the tragedy, as the little boy remains on life support in a critical condition in an induced coma at Gold Coast University Hospital.

His family say they're taking it just 24 hours at a time and praying for his recovery.

On Friday, for the first time since the tragedy unfolded, staff from Sea World Helicopters returned to the scene.

In heartbreaking scenes they laid flowers at the growing public memorial in hour of co-worker, pilot Ashley Jenkinson, who died in the accident.

Plans for a vigil at the Broadwater next Sunday are underway as the Australian Transport Safety Bureau are continues their investigations, taking statements from hundreds of witnesses.

Source link